When it comes to choosing the right roofing material for your home, there are many factors to consider. Stone-coated steel roofing is a popular option that offers durability and a variety of styles. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the cost of stone-coated steel roofing, compare it to other roofing materials, and discuss its pros and cons.
An Overview of Stone-Coated Steel Roofing
Stone-coated steel roofing is a roofing system that combines the industrial strength of steel with the elegance of traditional roofing materials. It consists of multiple layers, starting with galvanized steel sheets coated with a primer to ensure adhesion. The next layer is acrylic paint which provides protection against UV rays and water. Finally, stone granules are applied and sealed with an acrylic overglaze to enhance their gloss and durability. The result is a roofing material that mimics the look of slate, clay tiles, or shingles but with the added strength and longevity of steel.
How Much Does Stone-Coated Steel Roofing Cost?
Cost of Materials
The cost of stone-coated steel roofing materials typically ranges from $10 to $15 per square foot. This cost includes the stone-coated steel tiles, trim, and nails. The exact price may vary depending on the specific profile and the order size. Some popular manufacturers of stone-coated steel roofing products include Gerard USA and DECRA.
Cost of Installation
The cost of installing stone-coated steel roofing can vary depending on factors such as the size and complexity of the roof, the location, and the contractor’s labor rates. On average, homeowners can expect to pay between $7,000 and $13,000 for the installation of stone-coated steel roofing on a 1,000-square-foot roof. The cost increases proportionally with the size of the roof. It is important to obtain multiple quotes from reputable contractors to ensure you are getting a fair price.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Stone-Coated Steel Roofing
Several factors can influence the overall cost of installing a stone-coated steel roof:
- Roof Size: The size of your roof will directly affect the cost of materials and labor. Larger roofs require more materials and take longer to install, resulting in higher costs.
- Roof Complexity: Roofs with complex designs, multiple penetrations, or cut-up roofs may require additional labor and materials, increasing the overall cost.
- Labor Rates: Labor rates can vary depending on the location and the contractor’s experience and reputation. Obtaining multiple quotes from reputable contractors will help you determine a fair price for the installation.
- Manufacturer and Product Choice: Different manufacturers and product lines may have varying prices. It is important to research and compare options to find the best value for your budget.
Pros of Stone-Coated Steel Roofing
There are several advantages to choosing stone-coated steel roofing for your home:
- Durability: Stone-coated steel roofing is highly resistant to extreme weather conditions, including high winds, hail, and heavy rain. It is also resistant to fire, pests, and rotting.
- Longevity: Stone-coated steel roofing can last for several decades with proper maintenance. This longevity makes it a cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Stone-coated steel roofing offers the beauty and elegance of traditional roofing materials like slate, clay tiles, and shingles. It allows homeowners to achieve a classic and timeless look for their homes.
- Energy Efficiency: Stone-coated steel roofing is reflective and can help reduce heat absorption, resulting in lower energy costs for home cooling.
- Low Maintenance: Stone-coated steel roofing requires minimal maintenance. Regular inspections and occasional cleaning are usually sufficient to keep the roof in optimal condition.
Cons of Stone-Coated Steel Roofing
While stone-coated steel roofing offers many benefits, there are also some considerations to keep in mind:
- Higher Upfront Cost: Stone-coated steel roofing is more expensive upfront than other roofing materials like asphalt shingles. However, its long lifespan and durability make it a cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Installation Complexity: The installation process for stone-coated steel roofing can be more complex compared to other roofing materials. This may result in higher labor costs, especially for roofs with complex designs or multiple penetrations.
Top Manufacturers of Stone-Coated Steel Roofing
When choosing stone-coated steel roofing, it is important to select a reputable manufacturer. Companies such as DECRA and Gerard USA have a long history of producing high-quality stone-coated steel roofing products that offer durability, aesthetic appeal, and long-term value. It is recommended to research different manufacturers, review their product lines, and read customer reviews to make an informed decision.
Stone-Coated Steel Roofing vs. Asphalt Shingles
One common comparison in the roofing industry is between stone-coated steel roofing and asphalt shingles. While asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing material in the United States, stone-coated steel roofing offers several advantages, specifically in terms of durability and longevity.
While asphalt shingles may need to be replaced multiple times over the lifespan of a home, stone-coated steel roofing can last for several decades. Additionally, stone-coated steel roofing provides better protection against extreme weather conditions, such as high winds and hail. However, it is important to note that stone-coated steel roofing is more expensive upfront compared to asphalt shingles.
Stone-coated steel roofing is an excellent choice for homeowners looking for a roofing material that combines strength, durability, and aesthetic appeal. While the upfront cost may be higher compared to other roofing materials, the long lifespan, low maintenance requirements, and classic beauty make stone-coated steel roofing a cost-effective option in the long run. By considering factors such as roof size, complexity, labor rates, and manufacturer choice, homeowners can make an informed decision and enjoy the benefits of a stone-coated steel roof for years to come.
Hire The Top Stone-Coated Steel Roofing Contractor In Tulsa
Stone-coated steel may be more expensive upfront than other roofing materials, but making an initial investment is worth it. The strength and durability of a stone-coated steel roof will provide your home with excellent protection from the weather while increasing its curb appeal.
But in order to get all the advantages of stone-coated steel roofs as listed in this blog post, you need to get a proper installation by experienced roofers. When it comes to a stone-coated steel roof, exceptional care should be given, and that’s exactly what we do at A. Fricker Roofing & Waterproofing. Homeowners across Tulsa trust our company for their roof installation. You can also utilize our expert, skilled, and professional team of roofers when your roof needs repairs, or if you need to waterproof your basement. Call us today at (918) 402-7167 and consult with one of our experts about your stone-coated roof installation.