As a homeowner, you know that a roof is one of the most important parts of your home. It protects you and your family from the elements and helps keep you warm and dry. That’s why it’s important to choose the right roofing material and care for it properly.
If you’re considering architectural shingles for your roof, you may have heard that they have a manufacturer-specified lifespan of 30 years. This may lead you to believe that your roof will last for 30 years without any issues. However, this is actually a common misconception in the roofing industry. In reality, architectural asphalt shingles may only last for a maximum of 30 years, meaning that on most occasions, they are repaired or replaced before that lifespan is up.
So, how long do architectural shingles last? That’s what we’ll be exploring in this blog post. We’ll start by answering that question upfront and then move on to discuss the factors that can impact the lifespan of your shingles. We’ll also give you some tips on how to tell when it’s time to replace your shingles, and what you can do to help prolong their lifespan. Stay tuned to learn more!
How Long Do 30-Year Architectural Shingles Last?
While it’s true that architectural shingles are often marketed as having a lifespan of 30 years, the reality is that they will likely not last that long. In fact, architectural asphalt shingles tend to last around 22-25 years on average.
There are several factors that can impact the lifespan of your architectural shingles. For example, the quality of the installation, proper attic ventilation, weather conditions, the direction your roof faces, and the level of maintenance can all affect how long your shingles will last.
Proper installation and ventilation are particularly important in extending the lifespan of your shingles. If these things are not considered and implemented properly, you may not even get close to the 25-year mark.
However, with a skilled roofing contractor and regular maintenance, your architectural shingles have the best chance of reaching their maximum lifespan. How can you do that? Let’s look into it.
How To Prolong The Lifespan Of Architectural Shingles
If you want to extend the lifespan of your architectural shingles, you can take a few steps to help maintain and protect them. Here are some tips for prolonging the lifespan of your architectural shingles:
- Keep your roof clean: Remove debris and leaves from your roof regularly to prevent water buildup and rotting.
- Repair damage promptly: If you notice any missing, cracked, or curled shingles, have them repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Trim overgrown tree branches: Tree branches that hang over your roof can scratch or puncture the shingles, so trim them back to prevent damage.
- Inspect your roof regularly: Check your roof for signs of damage or wear at least once a year, and have any issues repaired immediately.
When Should You Replace Your Architectural Shingle Roof?
If you notice any of the following signs, it may be time to replace your architectural shingles:
- Shingles are missing, cracked, or curled: If your shingles are damaged, they may not provide adequate protection for your home.
- Your roof is leaking: You may not be able to see the missing or cracked shingles from the ground, but if you notice water leaking into your home, it’s likely time for a shingle replacement.
- Your shingles are visibly worn: If your shingles are visibly worn or faded, consider replacing them.
- Your roof is old: If your roof is approaching the end of its expected lifespan, it’s a good idea to start thinking about replacing it.
Get A Free Roof Replacement Estimate In Tulsa
Now that you know how long do architectural shingles last, you may wonder about your roof’s lifespan. If you think that your architectural shingle roof may be past its prime, or if you’re noticing any issues with your shingles, consider a roof replacement.
It can be a big investment, but a new roof can provide long-term protection for your home and increase its value. If you’re considering a roof replacement, it’s a good idea to consult a professional to determine the best action for your specific needs.
If you live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and need a new roof, you’re in luck, A. Fricker Roofing & Waterproofing is here to help! We’ll work with you to find the best solution for your home and budget.
We know how important it is to maintain your roof so that it lasts as long as possible. That’s why we offer regular inspections, repairs, and full roof replacements if necessary. Our team of experienced professionals will make sure your roof is always in good shape, so you never have to worry about leaks or other issues. Call us today at (918) 402-7167 to schedule a free consultation.