Shingles are an important part of your roof, protecting your home from the elements. However, they can come off for a number of reasons, such as strong winds, hail, or poor installation. If you notice that shingles have fallen off your roof, it’s important to take action to repair the damage and safeguard your home.
In this blog post, we will provide you with a complete guide on what to do when shingles fall off your roof. We will show you what steps to take to repair the damage, how to best protect your home, and how to stay safe in the process.
We will also discuss the dangers of missing shingles and how to prevent them from coming off in the future. By following this advice, you can keep your home safe and secure from the elements.
Most Common Reasons Why Your Roof Shingles Fall Off
There are several factors specific to the region of Tulsa that can contribute to shingles falling off your roof:
1. Severe Thunderstorms: Tulsa is prone to severe weather conditions, including heavy rain, thunderstorms, and hail. These extreme weather events can cause significant damage to shingles, leading to them becoming loose or completely dislodged from the roof.
2. Tornadoes and Strong Winds: Tornadoes and strong winds are common in Tulsa and can exert immense pressure on the roof, causing shingles to lift or blow off. The powerful gusts associated with these weather events can easily strip away shingles that are not properly secured.
3. Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Tulsa experiences fluctuating temperatures throughout the year, including frigid conditions during winter. The repeated cycle of freezing and thawing can weaken shingles over time, making them more susceptible to damage and eventually, causing them to detach from the roof.
4. Sun Exposure: Tulsa has a relatively high number of sunny days, which means roofs are constantly exposed to intense sunlight. Over time, UV radiation can degrade the shingle material, causing them to become brittle, crack, and eventually fall off.
5. Age and Wear: Like any other region, shingles in Tulsa have a limited lifespan. If your roof is older and nearing the end of its expected lifespan, the shingles may have begun to wear out, losing their grip and integrity. This makes them more prone to falling off, especially during severe weather events.
What Happens If Shingles Fall Off A Roof in Tulsa, OK?
If you live in Tulsa, OK, you know that the weather can be unpredictable. Strong winds and hail are common, and these can cause shingles to fall off your roof. If you notice that shingles are missing, it’s important to take action to prevent further damage to your home.
Here are some of the problems that can occur if you leave gaps on your roof due to missing shingles:
- Water Leaks: When there are gaps on your roof, water can seep inside and cause damage to your home’s foundation, framing, and insulation. This can result in costly repairs and structural issues.
- Mold Growth: When leaks occur due to gaps caused by missing shingles, your roof is more prone to developing mold. This not only causes health issues but also creates unpleasant odors in your home. Furthermore, mold can compromise the structural integrity of your roof and require additional repairs.
- Dry Rot: In the warm climate of Tulsa, OK, wet wood exposed to the elements can be susceptible to dry rot. This type of fungus weakens the structure of your roof, increasing the risk of collapse and extensive damage. Promptly addressing missing shingles is crucial to prevent the growth of dry rot.
- Pest Infestations: Gaps in your roof provide easy access for pests like rodents and insects to enter your home. These unwanted visitors can cause damage to your property and pose health risks by spreading disease. Repairing missing shingles promptly can help prevent pest infestations.
- Structural Damage: Rain or snow can infiltrate your home through gaps in the roof, leading to moisture damage and compromising the structural components of your house. If left unaddressed, this can result in costly repairs and even roof collapse, posing significant risks to your safety.
It’s important to take immediate action when shingles fall off your roof in Tulsa, OK, to mitigate these potential issues and safeguard the integrity of your home.
What To Do When Shingles Fall Off A Roof
If you notice missing or damaged shingles, it’s important to take action quickly to prevent water damage, mold growth, and other problems.
What To Do:
- Contact a Professional For Inspection – A professional roofer will be able to assess the damage and recommend the best course of action. They may need to conduct an aerial inspection using drone technology to get a complete picture of the damage.
- File an Insurance Claim – If the shingles fell off your roof due to a storm, you may be able to file an insurance claim. Your insurance company will send an adjuster to assess the damage and determine whether your claim is covered.
- Repair or Replace The Shingles – If the damage is minor, you may be able to repair the shingles yourself. However, if the damage is more extensive, you may need to replace the entire roof.
- Prevent Future Damage – Once you’ve repaired or replaced the shingles, it’s important to take steps to prevent future damage. This includes regularly cleaning your gutters, avoiding walking on your roof, and inspecting your roof regularly.
Contact A. Fricker Roofing & Waterproofing To Repair Your Fallen Roof Shingles
Are you in need of a reliable roofing contractor in Tulsa, OK, to address your fallen roof shingles? Look no further than A. Fricker Roofing & Waterproofing. Our team specializes in a wide range of roofing services, including repairing roof shingles. Don’t delay! Contact us today at (918) 402-7167 to schedule an appointment and ensure the protection of your home.